Open Meeting Minutes

Thursday, October 12, 2023

19th Hole Restaurant, Jerome Country Club

Attending Board members: Chairman Bill Bridges, Jeff Pierson, Brenda Weekes, Greg Moore, and Alan Clawson by phone. Guests were Mike Tilka as Advisor, Adam Stockberger with Idaho Adventure Rentals, Jerome Commissioner Art Watkins, Mark Reyes with Jerome County GIS and Rebecca Wildman from the Southern Idaho Climbing Coalition and taking minutes.

Bill called the meeting to order at 11:00 a.m. A quorum was not present until Alan Clawson joined by telephone at 11:10 a.m.

Treasurers Report: Bill reported $11,352 in the account and that the fiscal year has started with $60k coming from the county for the regular fund and $5,128 for the website noting the intent to switch to Jerome County IT hosting the site, but they aren’t yet ready to do so. Bill noted a few weeks ago the account had $15k, $2k was used (what about another $7k?). At the end of September $6k was still not spent. Discussion about County staff changes and an employee on medical leave and concern with losing funds that weren’t spent. Art does not believe the funds are lost and that the park may be able to carry them over. Noted that $18k of the new budget will need to go to RV park, so the park will have $42k budget to spend this year. Discussion only and no motion was made to accept financials.

Minutes: With no questions on minutes, Greg motioned to approve, Jeff seconded, motion carried.

RV Park: Bill reported that one or two RVs are staying there at a time now, with one traveling nurse who stayed 5 nights. It has stayed clean so far but going through TP, likely also used by day users. Mike asked Bill if the state would allow us to put up a sign indicating the location of the RV Park and Bill thought the state required running water before they would allow for a sign. No one has seen cows out there yet. The Department of Lands signs are wet from rain and Bill will get them covered in plastic and replaced. Speed signs blew over from past wind and wet ground. Rebecca mentioned possible sponsorship opportunities with ICCU per a discussion she had with an ICCU Jerome representative.

Maintenance: Bill is checking on and cleaning the vault toilet daily but may change to twice per week.

Website: Canyon Crest Creative uncooperative in providing user name and password. Greg suggested follow-up to see if they provided it to Jerome IT, and if not, suggesting asking Jerome’s attorney to write a letter to them.

Broken Bridge: Mike Walters with Wolftone Construction told Brenda that the South side is done and the railings are removed. Ramp is ready but there is a delay because they need to get on the North side to get the concrete truck over. Company needs permission from Riverence, who manages the CSI trout farm. Riverence responded they will have only one communication point and that is with Bill Bridges, and Bill is working through permissions as the road goes across three different properties. Bill is now just waiting on CSI and believes it will work through. Discussion if this will result in complications or an additional cost, etc. Brenda noted we cannot do anything in the water due to the Quagga Mussel issue, and if not soon resolved then it will

delay a grand opening. Others reported that the Quagga mussel treatment was half finished, that they will move down the river from Centennial for 6 more days and that treatment is going further down river than what they originally said.

Question about naming the new bridge with discussion of specific person tributes or to bring it back to the community with a request to submit names. Mentioned creating a SRCP email for submitting names, and to get KMVT, newspaper and website coverage.

Shooting Range: John Weston is not here but noted that the BLM is interested in running the project, but they are slow to move on it. Bill believes the BLM is short staffed.

Overlook: Larry Hall is not here. Waiting for BLM approval of geotech and then ready to proceed. The BLM had indicated approval would be done by Christmas. Current Civil Service proposal only good through the end of this year.

5-Year Plan: Brenda shared she has received proposals for rock climbing from Rebecca, horse trails from Sue, and knows the dog park proposal is in the works. Bill also noted a few trails off the Hansen bridge. Brenda shared Alan’s form for submitting proposals noting it includes a few edits. She will add a revised date to the form and send it digitally. Alan will get a proposal from the rock crawlers submitted. Brenda to gather these proposals before re-convening the 5-year plan sub-committee.

Speaking: Bill spoke with Twin Falls Noon Rotary yesterday with requests to help cleanup at RV park. He also just spoke to the Mid Snake Resource Conservation and Development (RC&D) and they are contributing $10k for the Broken Bridge. They have about $40k to utilize and not sure where they get their money from. Next he is speaking to the Magic Valley Land Trust (October 25th or 27th?). Bill will continue to reach out to the other two TF Rotary clubs and Kiwanis.

Speakers Bureau: No longer on for 2023, will look at 2024.

Security: Signage has all been replaced except big kiosk sign. Discussion regarding frame and signage.

SRCP Board Members: Still short a board member with discussion about who might be interested.

Yingst Grade: There is now a garbage can at the top and a dog bag dispenser. Another dog bag dispenser will go to the RV Park. The park has contracted for two portable toilets with the one at Yingst grade, which will stay up year-round, and the other at the disc golf course which will be pulled in November for the winter.

CSI Property: CSI owns property on the East side of Hwy 93 alongside I-84. Bill asked for feedback in suggesting it be developed with a parking lot and trail noting there aren’t many other uses. The armory will be installing a stoplight to access their new facilities on the West side of Hwy 93 and Bill thought if it became a 4-way light instead that would allow access to the East side of Hwy 93 at the same crossing. Discussion about the armory, access, and history of the property as it was originally owned by Arlen Crouch and he donated it to CSI. The armory was looking at it but decided to locate on the West side for power and water access. Also noted was the section of private property that is surrounded by the park and interested by I-84 and that Jerome County is trying to acquire it and incorporate it into the park. Mike added that ITD owns

the property that the Armory is locating on and Art thought ITD also owned property on the North side of I-84 in that area.

Brochure: Brenda shared the revised brochure noting partners and icons with photos. Art suggested “wild flowers” instead of foliage and Adam suggested a better bird watching photo. Larry Hall has offered to print copies as needed and they would be handed out as needed. Rebecca mentioned if the park gets an email to add that to the brochure. Art suggested adding the Mid Snake RC&D as a partner. Mark will help with labels on the map as he has original file and thinks it has already been updated with the pedestrian bridge, RV park, etc. Agreed to leave Jerome County logo where it is and make icons larger. Change Fusion Incorporated to Fusion Mechanical. Asked about mountain bike trails and Bill said he’s emailed Mike Young and Mark noted also Jacob Wittenburg was working on this too.

Other: Shared Idaho Power has put chain link fencing on the canyon wall above the power plant to guard against rock fall. Mark asked if Dave Fryberg with BLM was willing to do the visual inspection for the overlook. Further discussion and Brenda suggested the board or Jerome Commissioners ask Codie Martin and John Tjaden from BLM to give an update to at the next board meeting in November.

Meeting was Adjourned at 12:45 pm.