Snake River Canyons Park Board

Open Meeting Minutes

Thursday, May 11, 2023

19th Hole Restaurant, Jerome Country Club

Attending board members were Chairman Bill Bridges, John Weston, Jeff Pierson, Sue Williams, Brenda Weeks, and Alan Clauson. Guests were Mike Tylka and Mark Reyes and minutes were taken by Rebecca Wildman.

Bill called the meeting was called to order at 11:08 a.m. followed by self-introductions.

Minutes: The April 13, 2023 meeting minutes were reviewed, Sue motioned, Brenda second, minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Sue said the first two invoices for the RV Park have been paid and funds will come out of the grant. Mike suggested Bill contact Wayke regarding getting gravel to the park. Sue paid $250 for the Health permit for the vault toilet and will submit a receipt for reimbursement.

RV Park: Nicks excavation is laying the rock and aerial photos were taken. The excavator is digging for the vault toilet today and needs a minimum of 4 feet in depth. Larry Maschak is laying rock and they’ve agreed if they cannot get deep enough then they will build it up on the sides.

Sue shared that ATV’s are drag racing on the access road and she proposes trying to close this section until construction is finished. Sue said excavator has caution tape and cones to mark the hole, but she is still concerned. Bill noted the Saturday night speaker series would need to have access. Suggestions included asking for additional sheriff or BLM patrol, signage, barriers, etc. agreement that signage is only thing we can do for liability and suggested signs from the highway department indicating construction zone. Bill will ask the highway department.  

Boulders will be used to identify campsites and will have metallic numbers that correspond from the kiosk. The highway department authorized taking boulders from the quarry the north side of 700 road. Sue asked for help to locate two front-loaders and a trailer to transport boulders to RV camp; the current contractor is too busy to do this.

Photos from Mark’s drone shared. Nicks had offered to do fencing and agreed to clear the perimeter. In July they will start fencing with a 3-strand barbed wire plus cattle guards. Sue said they got an extension on funding of one year for the first grant. Second grant notification scheduled for June including more rock and second vault toilet.

Website: The Board is unhappy with current provider Canyon Creative. Desert Creative Group has been contacted and considering service. Sue asked for someone else to oversee this and Alan volunteered sharing he has some experience. Alan will set up a call with himself, Bill and Desert Creative Group to pursue.

Broken Bridge: Brenda reported the bridge project is progressing with Gerald Martens working to obtain bids by May 15. She met with the Water Resources last week with Aaron Golar and IDWR, and they are pleased with the project and its good use. Jerome county asked for a flood plain development permit. Under this the county works with FEMA for flood insurance, making sure in a mapped flood zone that we are doing things as needed. The P&Zs 1985 maps indicates Flood Zone A. Brenda now just needs Charlie’s sign-off as county property owner. Bill will facilitate signature, P&Z drop off, etc. The concern is more if a development is in a flood plane, not so relevant to our bridge. Construction may begin late summer/fall when water flow goes down. Sue added that Falls2Falls promoters are very interested in this project and some asked if they could help. Discussion on painting bridge for community PR and buy-in from user groups.

5-Year Action Plan: Goal to set priority projects from all user groups for next 5-years. Recent meeting on April 25th with discussion including naming/adopting trails. Alan suggested a program like adopt-a-highway and would try to get an application example but noted we can make up our own. Brenda said each group (horseback, off-road, rock-crawlers, climbing, mountain bikers), to give us a proposal of their top things, namely trails and supporting things to further their uses. Meeting again on May 23 at 6pm then sit with Mark and protection zones overlay and start working it into a project schedule. Also asked user groups for their ideas on funding sources, grants, and partnerships to get things funded. Asked how the board can help and Sue thought after the next meeting users will have a better idea noting that many are helping with the May 13th park cleanup. Also ask user groups to think about where to install the 2 arbors and 4 picnic tables that county has for the park and Sue suggested placement of at least one table and arbor at the RV park.

MV Fly Fishers: Brenda shared that May 20 this group is hosting an event at Murtaugh Lake and will be teaching fly fishing. Idaho F&G will have their trailer there, so no fishing licenses are necessary. It starts at 9 am and is a family-friendly event with food provided.

Shooting Range: John is waiting for the BLM to post their comment period (was to be done last January). BLM might decide to construct the range which would have loss of county involvement. John has been asked to help design some smaller ranges to the south. Fish & Game Grant Status is that Commissioners will meet to approve. If BLM takes it on, it may take out the waiting period, but they are talking about building 6 ranges total in the valley. Ours would be the big one and a multi-use facility. Fear the Oregon Trail markings will be lost at the 700 due to shooting there. Sue suggested the Horse Riders could help identify this and Mark said it is already marked. Discussion of timing of shooting ban (March 2020) and history leading up to it.

Overlook: Larry Hall’s contractors were to walk property there but Bill hasn’t heard if it happened.

Park Clean up: May 13, 2023, beginning at 8:00am. Bill wants a second trailer to take trash out of disc golf park. Asked about Western Waste toilet being moved and Bill asked it to be moved back away from the picnic table.

Speakers’ bureau: Saturday night 2 speakers about Archeology and Chinese Camps (on website calendar page). Other speakers confirmed include Steve Paulson on June 10 talking about native plants. Other possible speaker dates to be determined.

Security: Already discussed. Lately lots of vandalism. Suggested bringing paint to Saturdays cleanup and doing some touch up.

Maintenance: Specifically gravel for pothole at Yingst grade, Disc Golf Course feathering out by tees, overlook needs smoothing out, and Hansen Bridge hole there.

Newspaper Articles: Open for ideas.

Reminder: Arbors and Picnic Table placement.

P&Z Recreation Zoning: Next P&Z meeting is Monday. Bill noted the proposed change would benefit Devil’s Corral for what they want to do, but it would have a negative impact on Herb Allen’s estate with allowing for fewer homes.

Open Meeting Rules: Jeff suggested the organization undertake training on open meeting laws, noting potential unknown violations and perceptions. He will inquire with the Idaho Association of Counties about scheduling.

Campground Rules and Open Date: Bill asked for responses to rules he sent about the RV Park. Bill would like the RV Park open as soon as possible (this weekend) and others said this is not  realistic. Sue suggested the soonest it could open is the end of July. Suggested Max of 5 days and question of how is this enforced. Bill said BLM has a 14 day and we can do it less than this and came up with the 5 day limit.

New Business: Sue explained her write up to implement a policy to identify outstanding behavior to the group or county based on written criteria and consider for the next meeting.  Sue added that we need a name for the RV – she used “The Rickets RV Camp” for the application. Mike and Mark added that Virginia Rickets was a local historian and had even mapped the Oregon Trail. Maybe also consider Immigrant Trail Camp. To be voted on next meeting.

Upcoming Calendar Dates:

Monthly Board Meeting, Thursday June 8, 2023, 11am – 1pm, 19th Hole

5-Year Plan Meeting, Tuesday, May 23, 2023 6pm – 8pm, 19th Hole

Meeting was adjourned at 12:47 p.m.

Executive Sessions may be held pursuant to Idaho Code 74-206(1) as needed during time such sessions are called.

Note: Any person needing special accommodations to participate in the meeting should contact the committee secretary, 208-293-2426; 48 hours prior to the meeting.                                                                             

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *