Snake River Canyons Park Board

Open Meeting Minutes

Thursday, June 8, 2023

19th Hole Restaurant, Jerome Country Club

Attending board members were Chairman Bill Bridges, John Weston, Jeff Pierson, Sue Williams, Brenda Weeks. Guests were

Bill called the meeting was called to order at 11:00 a.m. followed by self-introductions.

Minutes: The May 11, 2023 meeting minutes were reviewed, Sue motioned, Brenda second, minutes were approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Tanya Stitt will be our new Treasurer.  We have $1602 dollars in our bank account.  We need to understand where we stand on the RV grant.

RV Park: The RV park is close to being ready.  The pit toilet is in, just needs to have concrete apron put in.  Sue is looking for a second concractor to pour the concrete.  The First concractor is to slow. 

 In July they will start fencing with a 3-strand barbed wire plus cattle guards. Sue said they got an extension on funding of one year for the first grant. Second grant notification scheduled for June including more rock and second vault toilet.

Website: The Board is unhappy with current provider Canyon Creative. Desert Creative Group has been contacted and considering service. Sue asked for someone else to oversee this and Alan volunteered sharing he has some experience. Alan will set up a call with himself, Bill and Desert Creative Group to pursue.

Broken Bridge: Brenda reported the bridge project is progressing.  Bids are in the low bid was $157,500.  Gerald Martens will work with them to ge the work started.  We have one more permit to obtain.  A Flood Plain permit from the same group that gave us our first permit.

5-Year Action Plan: Goal to set priority projects from all user groups for next 5-years. Brenda ask that everybody get their request in by July 1.  Brenda ans Sue want to meet with the BLM to discuss projects in late July.

Shooting Range: John says the BLM has posted their comment. John started his own comment site and has 100’s of comments already.  BLM might decide to construct the range which would have loss of county involvement. John has been asked to help design some smaller ranges to the south. Fish & Game Grant Status is that Commissioners will meet to approve. If BLM takes it on, it may take out the waiting period, but they are talking about building 6 ranges total in the valley. Ours would be the big one and a multi-use facility. Fear the Oregon Trail markings will be lost at the 700 due to shooting there. Sue suggested the Horse Riders could help identify this and Mark said it is already marked. Discussion of timing of shooting ban (March 2020) and history leading up to it.

Overlook: The BLM is waiting for the anthropology report so that John T. can finish his approval.

Speakers’ bureau: We need better publicity.  Meeting at Bill’s house on June 14.  It was suggested we do one large meeting in August.  Bring in a band and maybe some zoo animals.  Reptiles from the area and maybe some Birds of Prey.  Get the OHV group to organize.

Security: Bill will purchase two trail cameras and put our in the park.

Maintenance: Specifically gravel for pothole at Yingst grade, Disc Golf Course feathering out by tees, overlook needs smoothing out, and Hansen Bridge hole there.

Newspaper Articles: Open for ideas.

Reminder: Arbors and Picnic Table placement.

Open Meeting Rules: Jeff suggested the organization undertake training on open meeting laws, noting potential unknown violations and perceptions. He will inquire with the Idaho Association of Counties about scheduling.

Campground Rules and Open Date: Bill asked for responses to rules he sent about the RV Park. Bill would like the RV Park open as soon as possible (this weekend) and others said this is not  realistic. Sue suggested the soonest it could open is the end of July. Suggested Max of 5 days and question of how is this enforced. Bill said BLM has a 14 day and we can do it less than this and came up with the 5 day limit.  Bill will be doing daily checks and clean up in the RV park when it opens.

New Business: Sue explained her write up to implement a policy to identify outstanding behavior to the group or county based on written criteria and consider for the next meeting.  Sue added that we need a name for the RV – she used “The Rickets RV Camp” for the application. Mike and Mark added that Virginia Rickets was a local historian and had even mapped the Oregon Trail. Maybe also consider Immigrant Trail Camp. To be voted on next meeting.  New business was to be voted on at the June meeting, but it did not happen.

Upcoming Calendar Dates:

Monthly Board Meeting, Thursday July 13, 2023, 11am – 1pm, 19th Hole

Meeting was adjourned at 12:55 p.m.

Executive Sessions may be held pursuant to Idaho Code 74-206(1) as needed during time such sessions are called.

Note: Any person needing special accommodations to participate in the meeting should contact the committee secretary, 208-293-2426; 48 hours prior to the meeting.                                                                             

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *